Themes by Topic
Maine A2 Students read fiction, nonfiction, drama, and poetry, within a grade appropriate span of text complexity, and analyze the characteristics noting how structural features and common literary devices help shape the reader's response.
A2.a Analyze an author's characterization techniques including the character's thoughts, words, and actions; the narrator's description; and the thoughts, words, and actions of other characters.
- Author Study: Rick Riordan
- Author Study: Cheryl Harness
- Author Study: Herman Melville
- Author Study: Maya Angelou
- Author Study: Sharon Draper
- Literature: "Dear America: Voyage on the Great Titanic" by Ellen Emerson White
- Literature: "Dovey Coe" by Frances O'Roark Dowell
- Literature: "I Know What You Did Last Summer" by Lois Duncan
- Literature: "Scorpions" by Walter Dean Myers
- Literature: "Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board" by Bethany Hamilton
- Literature: "We Beat the Street" by Drs. Sampson Davis, Rameck Hunt, and George Jenkins