Themes by Topic
Maine A2 Students read fiction, nonfiction, drama, and poetry, within a grade appropriate span of text complexity, and analyze the characteristics noting how structural features and common literary devices help shape the reader's response.
A2.b Identify events that advance the plot and determine how each event explains past or present action or foreshadows future action.
- Literature: "A Day No Pigs Would Die" by Robert Newton Peck
- Literature: "Among the Hidden" by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Literature: "Dovey Coe" by Frances O'Roark Dowell
- Literature: "Hitler's Daughter" by Jackie French
- Literature: "Mr. Popper's Penguins" by Richard and Florence Atwater
- Literature: "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" by Mildred D. Taylor
- Literature: "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" by John Boyne
- Literature: "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton
- Literature: "We Beat the Street" by Drs. Sampson Davis, Rameck Hunt, and George Jenkins
- Literature: Cinderella Stories